Inter-City Recycling Challenge
VESTAVIA HILLS IS COMPETING WITH HOMEWOOD, MOUNTAIN BROOK & HOOVER TO REDUCE CONTAMINATION IN OUR RECYCLABLES!
Did You Know …– when non-recyclable items are placed into recycling bins, everything in the bin becomes contaminated?
– contaminated recyclables may cause the entire truck load to be sent to the landfill, instead of recycled?
– contaminated recyclables cost you – the tax payer – nearly twice as much to be processed?
– recycling materials placed inside plastic bags can not be processed and are sent to the landfill?
– the contaminate rate for Vestavia Hills was 37% in 2018?
Do Your Part to Keep Contaminates Out of Your Curbside Recycling Container!–Be sure items are EMPTY, CLEAN, DRY & LOOSE before placing them in your recycle cart. Wet or soiled items will result in the entire load of recycling being discarded!
– Clean your recycle cart occasionally to reduce contaminants.
– Place all recyclables inside your cart. The City's vendor will NOT pick up anything outside of your cart or in another receptacle.
– If needed, request a replacement or an additional cart for FREE via the Vestavia Hills Action Center or call Public Works at 205.978.0150.
– Place your cart at the curb with the front (arrows) facing the street.
What IS and IS NOT Accepted?Recycling Options:
– Electronics & Appliances: Contact Advanced Technology Recycling at www.ATRecycle.com or 877.781.7779
– Batteries: Contact Alabama Environmental Council Community Recycling Center or any Batteries Plus retail location (www.batteriesplus.com)
– Glass: Target accepts glass for recycling
– Clean Film: Publix recycles clean film, including thin plastic shopping bags and package wrap (like that used to package toilet paper rolls)
– Styro: Publix recycles styro (foam) trays and foam egg cartons